Mississippi Section of the American Association of Physics Teachers (MSAAPT)
History of MAP
MAP was formed during an organizational meeting at Mississippi State University on June 26, 1970. Its goals are:
- To provide an opportunity for the physicists of the state and physics and physical science teachers to get to know their colleagues at other institutions.
- To provide a means for greater cooperation among the physics departments in the universities, colleges, junior colleges, and high schools in promoting teaching and research.
- To provide a better program of consultation between the universities, colleges, junior colleges, and high schools.
- To provide a cooperative effort among all universities, colleges, junior colleges, and high schools to strengthen the teaching of physics at all levels.
- To improve the public understanding of science.
The first MAP Newsletter (Number 000) was published August 6, 1970. It followed the organizational meeting on June 26, at MSU and the Steering Committee meeting at Mississippi College on July 24.